Frequently Asked Questions

While we receive a huge variety of calls, some questions come up quite often. If you are thinking of getting in touch it might be helpful to read these frequently asked questions first.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I access support?

You will have to complete a self-referral to access support at Hull and East Yorkshire Mind. You can complete the referral form here or contact us in your preferred way. We can offer you personal and tailored advice based on what support is right for you so that you do not have to face mental health alone.

What do you do?

We offer group support, therapeutic workshops, help to get back into employment, stress control, housing, counselling, mentoring for prison leavers… the list goes on. If you, or someone you know, feel like they may benefit from our support please do contact us and we can advise on what pathway would be most appropriate.

How long will I have to wait?

After making a referral, the hard bit is done… you are on your way to accessing help and should feel proud. You can be sure to hear from us very soon. Initial contact will be made within 10 working days to book you in for an assessment which will consist of going over confidentiality, the logistics of the support we offer, an action plan that suits your goals and aspirations as well as that you are happy with the project and worker suggested.

Where will I have to go?

We cover the whole of East Yorkshire and have various venues for activities and support across Hull, Hessle, Haltemprice, Hedon, Beverley, Goole, Driffield, Bridlington, Pocklington and Withernsea.

What if I am worried about someone else?

It can be difficult when a friend or relative is struggling with their mental health. Facing a difficult time together and talking about how you both feel can bring people together, giving you a chance to express love and affection in a way that has not been possible before. Support them and let them know you are there to help. Talk about what they feel would help. Offer practical help such as making a telephone call to access the support. keep yourself, and the person, focused on positive things and day to day realities.

And if they won’t seek help…It is common to feel frustrated if you think someone is not trying hard enough to get well, but try not to make assumptions about how they feel. If you are able to make time to have an honest conversation and show them that you value what they are telling you it can be easier to move forward together. Try to identify with the emotions that they are expressing and the reasons why they might not feel they need help- fear, weakness, previous experience etc. This might help you to agree that asking for extra support and treatment could be helpful.

What ages do you work with?

We work with young people from the age of 10, and adults of any age.

I want to make a complaint. How do I do this?

If you are dissatisfied with service received, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible so we can investigate what went wrong and put it right, if we are able to. You might find that talking to the manager in charge of the service informally will resolve the situation, but if not you may wish to make a formal complaint. You can make a formal complaint here.