Counselling for Children and Young People

Counselling support

Are you a young person, parent or carer?

We know that getting help when you are struggling is important, that’s where our counselling can help.

When you are struggling with your feelings, counselling can help you to process what’s going on in a safe environment. In counselling, a trained therapist or counsellor will listen to your problems and help support you understand what is causing these problems by supporting you to look at solutions to help you overcome them.

There are two ways to access counselling through Hull and East Yorkshire Mind:

Standard Service: Our standard counselling service is free for young people. This service is provided in collaboration with CAMHS and Thrive Hull and may have a waiting list due to its high demand.

Private Counselling: This service is exclusively provided by Hull and East Yorkshire Mind for young people aged 6-18. Our goal is to connect your child with a skilled and experienced counsellor within seven days so they can begin your counselling journey at a time convenient to them.

We appreciate that taking the first step to accessing counselling can feel difficult, and we want to make that step as easy as possible for you. For more information, please complete the ‘Get in touch’ form opposite.

Private Counselling

Our private counselling service is available to children and young people (aged 6+) living across the Yorkshire and Humber region.

The most appropriate form of therapy is determined by the needs of the young person. This could include:

· Drawing and Talking Therapy, available for children and young people aged 6 years and over. This style of therapy is particularly suitable for young people who do not have the words to express themselves or are unsure of what they are struggling with. The therapy is carried out over 12 sessions, typically lasting 30 minutes.

· One to one counselling is available for young people aged 10 years and over who can verbalise their thoughts and feelings. The counsellor works using techniques to suit the needs of the young person.

How to access counselling

We can offer private one-to-one therapy at Wellington House, Hull.

The first step is to complete the ‘Get in touch’ form opposite or contact us via email at [email protected] or telephone: 01482 755 601

Cost of sessions

£50 per hour and payments must be made at least 24 hours prior to your session, payments are normally by PayPal or Bank Card via our website here or also via BACS payment.

Please note that failure to give less than 24 hours’ notice of intention to cancel an agreed session or a repeat pattern of cancellations; we reserve the right to charge in full for that session unless there are exceptional circumstances.


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is delivered by a suitably trained Children and young people’s Wellbeing Practitioners (CWP) in partnership with the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. This support is suitable for young people who have low to moderate depression/anxiety needs. Support is delivered face to face at our Hull office or remotely by video call/telephone, which can take place at school or home as appropriate.

All referrals must be made direct to CAMHS via Contact Point, who will assess the young person’s needs and refer to the most appropriate form of support.

For Hull Residents

Please call 01482 303688

For East Riding Residents

Please call 01482 303810


Support at School

One to one counselling can be provided in partnership with the Thrive Hull project. This is suitable for young people aged 10-19 years who live and/or attend school/college within the Hull area.

Counselling can provide support with a range of issues, including but not limited to low-level anxiety and depression, loss and self-esteem concerns. Counselling is delivered within schools, community settings or remotely via video call.

Referrals can be made direct by parents/carers, please contact us on 01482 240133 or e-mail [email protected]. Further information about additional local support can be found by accessing the website How Are You Feeling? Professionals are requested to complete the Emotional Wellbeing Request for Support form.

Need to pay for your counselling? Pay here.

It's amazing to see how far my child has come. We both can't thank you enough for your support.


I was not sure what to expect at the start as it was a new this but do you know what, you’ve been amazing.


I have found this amazing and I totally recommend it to others that are struggling.


Get in touch

    Young Person's Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Your Number

    Enquiry Details

    How did you hear about us?

    I consent to Hull and East Yorkshire Mind contacting me using the information I have entered above.