Mental health problems at work are common. At least one in six workers will experiencing common mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.
When you sign the Employer Pledge you demonstrate your commitment to change how we think and act about mental health in the workplace and make sure that employees who are facing these problems feel supported.
By signing the Pledge you will join a growing movement of more than 900 employers in England across all sectors from FTSE 100 companies and leading retailers to Government departments and local authorities.
With thanks to Hull City Council for providing us with the funding for this project.
Mental health is an issue your organisation cannot afford to ignore:
● 1 in 6 British workers are affected by mental health every year
● Mental ill-health is the leading cause of sickness absence in the UK, costing an average of £1035 per employee per year
● Overall mental ill-health produces a cost of between £33 and £42 billion to employers each year (with over half of this coming from presenteeism wherein individuals are less productive due to poor mental health)
● FTSE 100 companies that prioritise employee engagement and wellbeing outperform the rest of the FTSE 100 by an average of 10%
Since singing the Pledge:
● 95% said it had a positive impact on their organisation
● 50% reported a rise in staff disclosure
● Encourage them to talk about their mental health which can make a real difference to sickness absence rates, presenteeism levels, staff wellbeing and productivity
● 95% of employees calling in sick with stress gave a different reason – opening up the discussions around mental health will give staff the confidence to disclose the real reasons for their absences
● Staff are more likely to seek support before reaching crisis point and needing to be signed off sick for longer periods
● Staff will feel more loyal and invested in your organisation which in turn will increase retention rates
We will work with you to develop an action plan to get your employees talking about mental health. This spans from small actions to larger ones – all tailored to what your organisation would benefit from. We will be putting on Information and Training workshops through the year leading to a conference in October when all of the employers who have signed up in the year can publicly sign the pledge to mark their commitment to your employees.
This World Mental Health Day we are coming together to celebrate employers who have committed to decreasing mental health stigma in the workplace and supporting employees who may be experiencing poor mental health.
Over the past year Hull and East Yorkshire Mind in partnership with Hull City Council have come together to work with local Hull businesses to help them become Time to Change Employers. This free half day conference will include speakers sharing professional and personal experiences of mental health in the workplace, as well as the opportunity to attend workshops and network with local support services.
Breakfast will be included, as well as refreshments during the morning.
You don’t have to be signed up to the Time to Change Employer Pledge to attend, however if you haven’t and would like to learn more please contact Natalie Norton, Time to Change Project Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.heymind.org.uk/timetochange/